INSTALLATION GUIDE FOR
Defender Rocking Spider™
The Defender Rocking Spider™ is designed to keep seagulls and pigeons off the top of street lights, air conditioning units and other larger surfaces. Just the lightest breeze or touch from the bird will set the 20 wires rocking back and forth, deterring the birds.
The Defender Rocking Spider™ can protect a ledge of up to 1 metre. Each strip measures 13” (335mm) long.
1. All areas should be prepared ensuring they are clean, dry and free from bird droppings. It is important to look up; it may be that the source of the mess is actually from ledges or pipes higher up on the building. If this is the case you will need to spike these as well. If this is not done, then droppings, twigs etc may fall down onto the bird spikes below rendering them less effective.
2. Squeeze pigeon spike fixing silicone generously on to the base of the spike, about (10mm) the size of your finger. Thicker if the surface is uneven.
3. Stick the first row of Rocking Spiders in a position so that the tentacles slightly overlap the edge of the ledge. Press down firmly so that the glue oozes out through the little holes. For wider ledges 2 or more rows of Spiders may need to be installed; if this is the case leave little or no gap between rows.
4. Every effort should be made to spike all possible landing sites. Snap spikes into pieces to finish off rows or spike small areas. Spikes can be easily snapped using your fingers.
5. Window cleaners, contractors on ladders, scaffolders, painters etc. have a habit of damaging bird spikes. Warn them to be careful whilst working. A slightly damaged spike is likely to provide an ideal roosting or nesting spot for a seagull or pigeon. Any damaged spikes should be replaced before the birds move in.
6. Before starting the job, assess the work to make sure that you can do it safely and without hurting yourself or others. If you have any doubts at all then please contact us or return the spikes for a full refund – no questions asked. Wear suitable protective clothing, dust mask, gloves, overalls etc.